Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible to book with ELS Students?
Any full time student can live with ELSstudents, if you are unsure if you qualify please contact us to discuss your situation.
How do I reserve a flat?
It’s very quick and simple to do!
– After you have clicked on the ‘reserve’ button, you will be asked to fill in a simple form which tells us what you are looking for.
– We reply with availability and once we have confirmation you will be able to make a reservation payment.
– After your reservation payment has been accepted and the property has been booked for you, you will be sent a link to our online application form where you will also need to upload the following:
– Two written references (preferably from an employer, previous landlord, Director of Studies or unrelated professional);
– Confirmation from the university that you are enrolled in a course;
– Proof of identification which must be a Driving License or passport;
– If you are staying with us for longer than 6 months, you will also be required to provide a guarantor. Separate online application forms are available for guarantors to complete electronically.
What is the length of my tenancy?
Short, summer and long-term lets are available. The tenancies we offer in ELS House are usually from 12 weeks to one year. Please get in touch with us prior to making a booking if you would like to discuss different accommodation dates. We are happy to negotiate where possible.
What kind of lease do I sign?
The Leases we offer are standard Short Term Letting Agreements and Short Assured Tenancy Agreements. Short Term Letting Agreements are used for tenancies that last from one week up to 5 months and 30 days. Short Assured Tenancies are the most common type of tenancy used in the privately rented sector in Scotland and last for a minimum of six months.
Payment Plans
As per the terms set out in the Tenancy Document, all rent monies are due at set dates throughout the year. For short stays of less than 6 months, all monies are due prior to the date that the tenancy begins. For longer stays of 6 to 12 months, it’s possible for students to pay rent monthly by Direct Debit. Alternatively students can pay three payments throughout the year, which are timed to approximately coincide with term dates.
Guarantors are required for Tenants wishing to stay in one of our properties for longer than 6 months. The Guarantor will make sure that Tenants pay the rent and perform and observe your obligations under the Tenancy Agreement. If you do not pay the Rent and/or perform and observe your obligations, the Guarantor will do so instead and the Guarantor will reimburse us for any losses, damages, costs and expenses suffered by or incurred by us as a result. We are under no obligation to bring any claims against you before bringing any action against the Guarantor. The Guarantor must complete an application form and be able to provide proof of identity in the form of a passport and driving license.
Do I require room insurance?
Basic contents insurance is included. If you would like to check the level of cover or upgrade this policy please visit the Endsleigh Insurance website.
Do I need a TV license?
If you chose to have a TV, you are required by British law to buy a TV license or you risk a fine. If you use IPTV (once installed) on your PC or laptop, you will also require a TV licence. A TV license can be purchased from the TV Licensing Agency. Details of payment methods are available on their website.
Do I need to pay any further bills?
No, your bills for heating, electricity and water are included. If you have any further questions, please contact the Accommodation Manager who will be happy to help with your enquiry.
Council Tax
Council tax is a tax applied to residential properties in England, Wales and Scotland. Local authorities collect it to help fund their services such as rubbish collection, the police and the fire brigade. The majority of students are exempt from Council Tax. In almost all cases, full time students do not have to pay Council Tax. Please take the time to click on the following link and check whether you qualify for exemption or not: Also, remember that not all courses qualify for Council Tax exemption and you should check with your University or College too. Proof of exemption. Usually, the Admissions Office at your University/College/Institution will provide you with a Council Tax Exemption Certificate. It is your responsibility to send this to the Council. We also require a copy of this 7 days following your enrollment on your course. Please note that if, for any reason, the Council requires you pay Council tax then they will charge you directly. This is not included in your fees to us and you must deal directly with the Council, although ELS will give advice and help in any way we can.
I am an international student, does Council Tax affect me?
If the course you are attending in the UK is classed as full-time then you are usually exempt from paying Council Tax. However, not all courses qualify for the exemption and you should seek guidance from your University/College/Institution and refer to the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) via the following link: In some cases, where there are shorter course for international students (Erasmus Students or Students on the Socrates Scheme) the Institution where you are studying can provide a letter of exemption which is also accepted by the Local Council. Please check with your Institution.
Can my friends or relatives stay over?
You may have 1 visitor at any one time for up to 4 nights staying in your room. You will be required to complete a visitors form at the Accommodation Reception. You will need to notify us of any visitors in advance.
What about noise?
You are living in close proximity to other students and it is important that you are respectful of this. Noise travels more easily than you might think, and what might sound ok to you may not be for others, especially if they are trying to study or sleep. We ask that you keep noise to minimum between the hours of 11pm – 7am. Use headphones if you can. Remember that during exam and dissertation periods, your neighbours may be a little stressed and more tired than usual, so be extra careful then.
How do I receive my mail?
You will have a secure individual mailbox which will be located in the reception area of your accommodation floor.
Where should I get my mail sent
Once you have entered into a tenancy with us, you will be provided with the full address including your room number.
You are responsible for the cleaning of your own room. Our team of cleaners will clean all shared areas. If you wish, we can arrange for your room to be cleaned every week but there is an additional charge of £20 per hour for this.
All tenants use the laundry room with washing and drying facilities. It is located on the same floor as your accommodation. The machines are coin operated and you must supply your own washing powder/liquid. It would be a good idea to also invest in a cheap laundry basket to carry your laundry to and fro and to store it in!
Security cameras are situated around the building for your safety. When you are entering the building, you will input your own secure code. Please do not share this. Your floor also has an entrance door, which you will have a key to, and also your room has its own key. You are responsible for the security of this. For security purposes, never give anyone a loan of your key and never put your address on the key ring.
Lost keys or locked out?
If you lose your keys, call the 24-hour Emergency Contact Centre. An advisor will arrange for the security team to meet you and let you back in to your room. If you phone out with office hours, there will be a £30 charge for this. If you need a replacement set of keys, the property team will arrange this. There’s a charge of £20 for each replacement key.
All our flats are No Smoking residences. If you wish to smoke, please do so outside and away from the building. For clarification, there is no smoking in any shared areas, corridors, stairwells, lifts, laundry rooms or emergency exits. Fire alarms are fitted in each room and all corridors. Smoking out of an open window WILL set off the fire alarm and the Fire Service will automatically respond. This means that ALL rooms will be evacuated and a charge levied directly from the Fire Service to whoever was responsible.
Property Inspections
Our Accommodation Manager will inspect your property during each term. An appointment will be made first and it is recommended that you are present for the inspection. If the room isn’t as clean as it should be, then we will explain what needs to be done and give you some time before we come back to re-inspect. If we still feel that the room is not up to the standard we require, then we can clean the room but you will be charged for this.
When is the Accommodation Manager available on site?
Mondays:9.30am – 11.30am
Tuesdays:12.00pm – 2.00pm
Thursdays:1.00pm – 3.00pm
How do I make a complaint in general or regarding other residents?
If you have any issues with your accommodation, service or other residents, please contact the Accommodation Services staff either at the Accommodation Reception desk or by email
Who will be there in the event of an emergency?
You will be provided with a list of 24 hour emergency numbers with your Information Pack when you move into your room.
What do I do if there is a repair required in my room?
Please report any faults to the Accommodation Manager either by completing a repair form available at the Accommodation Reception or sending an email to
Fire Safety
Protect yourself: fire can cause damage, panic, injury, and even loss of life. These simple guidelines may be the most important thing you learn at university/college. Avoid unnecessary activation. All of the fire alarms within Unite Students properties are linked to our Emergency Control Centre. If you accidentally set off the alarm, then you must immediately contact the Emergency Control Centre on 0300 303 1611 and advise them what has happened. If you don’t then the Fire Brigade will be called and you may face unnecessary costs.
– Keep the kitchen door closed at all times.
– Close your shower room door when showering.
– Don’t smoke beneath a detector.
– Don’t cover or tamper with detectors.
– Don’t use aerosols or hairdryers beneath a detector.
– The use of candles is prohibited in ELSstudents accommodation.
On hearing the alarm
– Leave the building by the nearest escape route and proceed to the assembly point (see the fire action notice on your flat door).
– Don’t stop to collect belongings.
– Do not re-enter the building until you are told that it is safe to do so.
– If you know or suspect that someone has remained in the building or know the cause of the alarm, let a member of staff know as well as calling the Fire Brigade.
Please see the Fire Safety poster in your kitchen for more information.